Who we are:
The German American Chamber of Commerce® of the Midwest (GACC Midwest/ AHK USA-Chicago), headquartered in Chicago with a branch office in Detroit, was founded in 1963. GACC Midwest is an integral part of the network of German Chambers of Commerce Abroad (AHKs) with 130 offices in 90 countries around the globe. Our continuing mission is to promote and assist in the expansion of bilateral trade and investment between Germany and the United States, especially the Midwest. Our organization combines elements of a trade commission, a membership association, and a professional consultancy-quite a unique concept in international trade promotion.
GACC Midwest is seeking a full-time Manager, Membership Development and Engagement. This position is a strong business development role, and the individual will be primarily responsible for driving membership growth, maximizing engagement opportunities with the existing membership base, and marketing the Chamber’s various services and opportunities to the membership. This position reports to the Vice President.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Proactively identify, target, meet, and engage prospective members, particularly subsidiaries of German firms. Connect these prospective members with appropriate GACC Midwest team members, with the clearly defined goal of increasing membership and integrating these companies with the activities and mission of GACC Midwest.
- Actively visit existing and potential new members at their sites to learn about their operations and businesses in order to better tailor membership services and events. Some meetings will be done independently and others will be accompanied by GACC Midwest industry specialists or senior management.
- Cross-sell and market a broad range of GACC Midwest activities and services, including our various events, Career Services, apprenticeship programs, advertising opportunities, networking and roundtable participation, sponsorship opportunities, etc.
- Engage member support for the above, including outreach regarding speaking opportunities, sponsorship opportunities, etc.
- Identify new avenues for membership growth, building beneficial business relationships with various partner organizations, local associations, etc.
- Develop strategies and concepts to enhance member benefits and engagement.
- Keep abreast of the latest in transatlantic business developments as these issues may affect key industries in which our members operate as well as the overall German and American business climates.
- Support the ongoing activities and initiatives of GACC Midwest on a local, regional and national basis as appropriate.
- 2-4 years work experience in a membership or business development role
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Client and relationship focused
- Proactive and highly responsive
- Strong German and English language skills, both written and verbal
- Solid understanding of the US and German markets and business environments
- Ability to generate revenue by selling effectively a range of professional services and other membership benefits/opportunities to a diverse base of companies. Candidates should ideally be familiar with ‘soft sell’ techniques that emphasize listening to the customer and proposing service offerings/opportunities that meet their needs and add value to their organizations.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact and engage multiple levels
- (C-level, sales, HR, etc) within an organization
- Excellent presentation skills, in both English and German
- Self-motivated and highly dedicated
- Ability to work independently, as well as within a team environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite: Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint as well as CRM and mailing/list management sytems
- Travel required locally and regionally. In this business development role a significant amount of time will be spent outside the Chamber office, visiting current and potential members or attending Chamber and partner events. In this respect, the ability to drive and access transportation to reach companies/meetings outside of urban areas is essential.
- Must be available to attend Chamber and partner events, including outside of normal business hours.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Medical, dental, life, LTD, 401K
Vacation: 20 days plus all Federal holidays
How to apply:
Please apply directly to the online submission platform on the GACC Midwest website by clicking here. Please note that this is a full-time position in Chicago, not a part-time or external contractor position. No phone calls, please. Thank you!